Sunday, August 27, 2006

Weird Question for a Weird Job

There is one week left until my work schedule is back in full swing. It's the time of year I take a good look at my schedule and try to anticipate travel time between jobs, lunch breaks, coffee and basic needs.

The phone calls are flooding in and I evaluate what new stuff I want to take on and what old stuff needs to go. I also evaluate my fee schedule, my bills and how much I need to work to cover my expenses. Once these decisions are made I am stuck until the end of May.

As I am looking at my week days I catch myself asking how many consecutive hours can I realistically sit in a backless chair? Who asks themselves a question like this? Have you ever had to consider how many hours you can realistically sit in a backless chair? Let me tell you, this question is REALLY important.

I have endured 12 hour work days in a backless chair. If I have 2 of those days in a row I lose all the feeling in my hands and can't play without pain for days. The older I get, the less amount of consecutive hours I can spend in a backless chair.

I admit, sitting with my legs crossed at the piano probably puts undue pressure on my back. I like the feeling of being at home when I am at work; so I cross my legs. Pilates helps me compensate for my Glenn Gould posture. Even still...

How many consecutive hours could you sit in a backless chair?

2 Comments:

At 7:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

not many. Which is why I think I'm glad that I play the guitar. When I'm performing, I can stand or sit or walk around if I want. I have to admit, though, that I never really thought about this before...you have given me a deeper respect for pianists!

 
At 3:41 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I couldn't do many either! I sit at a computer all day and need a special chair because of back problems. If it were a backless chair...oy vey! I'd be in contant pain!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home