Friday, August 11, 2006

The Sparrow

If you are at all familiar with the economics in Calgary you will be aware of the incredible boom that is happening here. Calgary is an oil city in a province with no debt. People are flocking here by the thousands and the city is bursting at the seams. The rate of growth has caused a housing crisis and Property owners are seizing the opportunity to make a lot of money from renters in a very short time. Many of Calgary's lower income families are being forced out onto the street.

I am a musician. It is not a job you choose for the abundant flow of cash. I love what I do. I live very simply and cheaply in order to accommodate a meager income from a job that has mental health benefits in proportion to my need. I am content.

Last week there was a notice under my door of a rent increase of $200.00 per month. There is no room in my budget for that kind of increase. They might as well have raised it $1000.00.

Today, a well meaning mentor phoned and started questioning me about what I was going to do to meet my financial challenges. All of the 'What will you do if..., questions, combined with hunger and exhaustion from an afternoon with children, planted a seed of worry that grew into a full fledged weed of mammoth proportion.

After prayer and remembrance of truth, here is my response:

The question isn't 'what am I going to do?' The question is 'God, what are YOU going to do?' Your word says not to worry about what I will wear, eat or drink because you know what I need and you have promised to provide when I seek your kingdom first. Lord, your kingdom IS first.

Nothing comes to me that has not passed through you first. If I can't trust you who died for me, who can I trust?

Lord, thank you for choosing me for this challenge. I am excited to see your hand, to hear your voice and to watch you in action. In you I have riches greater than the wealthiest of earthly wealth. The world's gold is your pavement and your eye is on the sparrow.

(Don't you just LOVE a good weed pulling?!)

3 Comments:

At 10:07 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Cheryl,

You are inspiring! I came over just to thank you for your comments and suggestions and I ended up blessed by reading this post! Thank you.

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger Cheryl of the Wilds of C said...

Thank you, Amanda. God is inspiring. I was very wound up when I came to Him yesterday and within an hour He had not only calmed me, but had given me joy. I came away grateful!! Anyone who knows me can attest; that is Him not me.

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger Colleen said...

You are beautiful, Ruthie. You are captivating and your heart encourages me deeply.

And I love to pull weeds but the last time I did I put my back out. Is there any spiritual significance to this? ;)

Love ya.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home